Special counsel Robert Mueller says Paul Manafort told ‘discernible lies,’ including about contacts with his longtime translator and fixer, Konstantin Kilimnik, an employee who is believed to have Russian intelligence ties.
“Manafort told multiple discernible lies — these were not instances of mere memory lapses,” Mueller’s prosecutors wrote.
Here is the Mueller filing on Paul Manafort: [PDF LINK].
In the document, filed today by the Special Counsel’s office in federal court in Washington, Mueller says the former Trump campaign manager lied about:
• Konstantin Kilimnik interactions
• Kilimnik’s participation in count two of superseding information
• Wire transfer of funds to firm working for Manafort
• Info that relates to another DOJ investigation (???)
• Contact Manafort had with Trump admin officials
Manafort is accused of lying to federal investigators (never a wise idea) when he told prosecutors he never tried to communicate to anyone in the Trump administration.
But actually, the prosecutors say here, Manafort authorized someone to speak to an administration official on his behalf on May 26, 2018.
1) Cohen & Trump criminal activity accusation by SDNY.
2) More connection between Russia & Trumpworld than was known.
3) Continued investigation of WH in 2017 & 2018.
4) And Manafort lied about his contacts with the Trump administration. Which means they lied, too.
— Karen DaltonBeninato (@kbeninato) December 7, 2018
Mueller also says Manafort lied about his interactions with Konstantin Kilimnik, an associate who the FBI has said was connected to Russian intelligence. pic.twitter.com/Gk1B7g1MMY
— Brad Heath (@bradheath) December 7, 2018
eventual documentary title-ass tweet https://t.co/gX3ugVaIEG
— Simon Maloy (@SimonMaloy) December 7, 2018
Mueller’s office says Manafort “authorized a person” to speak with a Trump administration official on May 26, 2018. https://t.co/4q9fWyTely
Entirely possible this is a coincidence but that's in the middle of a Trump pardon spurt. Jack Johnson on 5/24, Dinesh D’Souza on 5/31.
— Matt Berman (@Mr_Berman) December 7, 2018
from Boing Boing https://boingboing.net/2018/12/07/manafort-lied-says-mueller.html