Check out the National Film Board of Canada for more like this!
A Sea Turtle’s Story
Keywords/Topics: Environment, life cycles, turtles, ecosystems, habitat, biodiversity, food chain
Guiding Question: How can society promote environmental stewardship?
Summary: A Sea Turtle Story is an animated film that chronicles the life cycle of an endangered sea turtle. The music and scenery initially suggest a harmonious environment, which belies the various threats faced by the main character. The innovative use of recycled materials in the creation of the film’s props and puppets highlights the importance of reducing our environmental footprint. The film also raises awareness about the importance of conserving our natural habitats.
- Learn about the life cycle of turtles.
- Research why turtles lay eggs at night.
- Explain why the turtle in the film sheds a tear. Was it an emotional response or a biological reaction? Defend your opinion.
- Create an infographics poster illustrating facts about sea turtles.
Animals need to reproduce to avoid extinction. Visit wildlife reserves/natural-science museums or aquariums to learn about different animals. Research how different organizations are helping turtles.
- Create a sea turtle food-chain web.
- Create a Kahoot! quiz game using facts about sea turtles.
- Create a diorama of the turtles’ ecosystem.
Learn about naturalist Charles Darwin and his theory of evolution by natural selection. Create a list of questions you would ask him if he were living in the 21st century.
- Discuss the reasons why some of the turtles headed towards the neon lights while the others headed towards the moonlight.
- Create a T-Chart listing the pros and cons of coastal development (e.g., hotels and homes on beaches).
- How has tourism and human activity affected the turtles’ habitat?
- Between 1:51 and 1:54, we see the beam of a flashlight skim across the sand. Debate whether this person was there to protect the eggs (conservationist) or to steal them (harvester).
- What actions can you take to protect animal habitats in your area?
Learn about Jacques Cousteau and the impact he had on conserving our oceans and marine life. Learn about Canadian environmental activist David Suzuki and his work in preserving nature and natural resources. Learn about the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Write a letter to your local politician requesting help in saving green spaces/forests/oceans in your community.